Monday, June 1, 2009

The best thing about getting older is.....

Well for one,you expect less. Less from people ,less from life in general. I have learned that you need to just take each day as it comes and look for the best in it. You also learn not to expect too much from people as if you do,you will usually be dissapointed. And when you least expect it, the ones you care about will do something thoughtful and you will be wonderfully surprised and touched.

I became cautious growing up with a mom who suffered from mental illness. Kids can be cruel when they find out your mom is mentally ill. It made me cautious to say the least. I didn't invite friends over too often, cuz I never knew how Mom was going to be. The few friends I trusted to get close to were cherished.

I found that I lived my life guarding my heart and my feelings. Opening up to few ,as not to be hurt. Still ,I always had friends. I was a good listener and a compassionate ear. I knew what it was like to have problems.

As I walk through the second half of my life I find it freeing to have no expectations. Each day is new and I can make it what I want. Even when work or other people put up road blocks,I can choose to walk around them easier. I don't have time to let things bother me. It's freeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment