Sunday, February 26, 2012

where has the etiquette gone..or am I just out of step??

This is an issue that has been bugging me for awhile now. I realize that times are changing and people communicate differently than they used to BUT and this is a big but. When has it become ok to not even acknowledge a gift? Seriously? Or when sooo much time has passed that you almost forgot you gave it and theeeen you hear something?? (this last part is far preferable to hearing nothing ,of course) .

I am seriously at a loss here people. The past year I gave a shower gift TWICE and got no thank you what so ever. First time it was a pretty nice gift that a few of us went in together on ,there was no written thank you sent TO ANY OF US.NOt all of us attended the shower. I'm guessing that the person who went to the shower must have gotten a verbal thank you from the mother to be,but I kinda still thought you sent an actual written thank you.The second time I attended the shower and still no written thank you...... Did I miss the update? It's it old school to send a thank you or even e mail one??

Also this past year I sent gifts and never heard if they received them and had to ask if they got them...Has this happened to any of you? And how do you feel about it? Frankly I'm of the mind to just not send anymore to people that can't even be bothered to let me know if they got it or not ,not even to mention if they liked it....I can spend my money on other things for sure.
I'm really not liking this trend. In a world where most everyone communicates through Face book or texting I would really hate to see good old fashioned thank yous go out of style.
I seriously want to hear your opinions on this. Has this happened to you? Does it bother you? Am I old fashioned in this thinking?

3 comments:

  1. I think Facebook and technological contact in general has made people more and more forgetful of common etiquette. And I don't think its always intentional. I think we are bombarded with so many ways to keep in contact that we just assume everyone knows we're thankful now because we posted it to FB or sent a text...instead of taking that extra little step to send a card or make a phone call. Technology has made our lives easier but it has made us lazy in the process. I certainly feel you on this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I actually will accept an e mail as a thankyou,and an actual phone call would be wonderful!. Postage being what it is these days I kinda get that. But a text or FB post TY for a gift is tacky any day of the week IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but to not hear ANYTHING?? Thats just ungreatful in general. Manners seem to be pretty lax these days in general and it has flowed into this area.... :-(

      Delete