Thursday, February 9, 2012

The reluctant cook..

Yep,that's me. I will admit it,I've never been a big fan of cooking. I do it of course,and sometimes on occasion I even get into the excitement of making a new dish. I have been known to cook some pretty decent holiday meals. But enjoy it? no.I juice on occasion and when my daughter was a baby I made all her baby food,most of the stuff from vegetables we grew in our garden and used a food grinder to grind up stuff when she was at that chunky food stage. So yes I do know my way around the kitchen but it has always been out of necessity not from any love of cooking.

We all need to eat so there for we must cook. Or do we... I have worked full time for most of my life. Drawing a paycheck since I was about 15 I think. So that always seemed like a good reason to eat out allot. You know,hey I'm tired or hey its too late to cook,lets pick something up. So maybe 3 meals a week would be take out or restaurant food.

THOSE...DAYS....ARE...GONE.

Back in October the ENT doctor put me on a low sodium diet No higher than 1700 Mg's a day and he would prefer 1500mgs,thank you. You think that's allot? Just read a few of the labels of some of your favorite foods and you will quickly see that most of you are eating WAY more than that. It will be an eye opener ,trust me. And don't say,hey I eat only Sea Salt,so that's better. Sure sea salt is better,but sodium is sodium my dears. So quickly I switched to no salt butter,no salt tortilla chips (0 Mg's of sodium,yea!!) and went about trying to find low sodium condiments. Wound up going on line because my favorite grocery store proved to be very inadequate in low sodium choices. Most likely will not remain my favorite grocery store for much longer...

And if that wasn't reason enough to start to cook more myself (its pretty much impossible to figure out the sodium in restaurant food even with a guide book) Now the gluten free challenge.

Yep I am being forced to cook more and hey while I'm at it I guess I should embrace it and learn to like it even if I can't love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment