Saturday, July 28, 2012

Why bother rating movies,video games and such?

First of all before I even get into my rant of the month. Let me say this. What happened in Colorado at the Batman movie was Horrible. My heart goes out to all of the people affected by that madman. Secondly I do not like judging other peoples parenting styles unless I see obvious abuse. I know all kids have moments where they act inappropriate and I don't automatically assume that the parents have done something wrong.
So that being said I feel the need to ask once again,what was a 4 month old baby doing at that movie and for that matter a 6 year old??!!

First of all movies in theaters are LOUD. The sound alone is very damaging to a new born baby and in fact for most people in there. Ear plugs are a good idea for anyone in a show these days. Second of all ,this movie was rated PG13. That means Parents STRONGLY cautioned. Violence,language,sex or other inappropriate content for children under the age of 13. Doesn't that also mean that if you are thinking of bringing a child under that age to see said movie it would be a good idea to see it yourself first and than judge if this is something your child's young mind can process properly?
Plus this movie was a midnight showing. Aren't most children under 13 bedtimes before that? Not to mention that young children have a tendency to not behave as adults and therefore could be disruptive to other people 13 and older in that movie.

Someone did ask the parents of the 4 month old why they brought the baby to the movie. Their answer was they were new to the area and didn't know anyone that could watch the baby. Umm well then you take turns going to said movie if you absolutely HAVE to see it. It's called raising a child,you don't always get to do what you want anymore,your the parent. suck it up.

Maybe that is what is wrong with this world. People don't make sacrifices. They want what they want,period. A six year old can see violence on TV I am sure as well as in a movie theater would be the parents argument . But have that same child watch a love scene? I bet that would be an issue for the same parents. Violence is OK to become numb to seeing but people showing affection toward each other is taboo.


I don't get to decide what other people expose their children to. But this situation annoys me.
Do you look at ratings on movies before you take your child to see something? I'm curious on peoples feelings on this subject. Below is a link to the ratings and what they mean.

http://www.mpaa.org/ratings/what-each-rating-means

1 comment: