Thursday, July 12, 2012

Soon to be a "nonna"

Well here we are just a couple or so days away of my daughter giving birth to my Grandson. It has been a roller coaster of emotions the last few months. Watching and experiencing while my daughter and my son n law traveled down the road it took to get to here. It's had its share of heartache (miscarriage's) and joy as each month of this pregnancy advanced and she made it past the milestones.

I am excited to watch these two special people enter parenthood. They will be good at it,no they will be great at it. I am a firm believer that these two have a strong bond in the marriage that will naturally carry into raising this child. Will they make "mistakes"? sure they will. All of us parents do. Each child is different and takes a different approach. So yes,some times you learn as you go. They will too.

I am excited and nervous. When your child is diagnosed with a dangerous clotting disorder or any other type of health disorder that can become deadly or disabling you get this fear in your gut that you have to deal with and learn to live with.This is how it went for me when my daughter was diagnosed with her clotting disorder... First you have to accept that you can not fix it for them. A parents first instinct is to care for and try to fix what ails your child. For me,and any good parent, that instinct runs to the center of your very core. So when they have a disorder that can only be managed there is a strong sense of helplessness. I research when I am faced with a problem. When my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac,I read and read and learned. The same with the blood disorder. Well with that she read and read and taught me. So second,you learn to live with the stark fact that you can't fix everything and you can't control a hell of allot that life throws at you . Having known parents who have had children with severe life threatening illnesses you can see in their eyes the pain that it causes.

What you CAN do is learn ,educate and become responsible. Which my daughter is. She has a health issue she complies to the zillionth degree with what she is supposed to do to manage the problem. I am so thankful she is this type of person. I hope I had something to do with how she handles her health and her life. She has watched me be health conscious and take care of myself,and I know children learn from what they see . Good or bad,they learn.
So am I worried about this upcoming birth with all the concerns that go with it? you betcha I am ! What parent wouldn't be?? But I also am hopeful and excited and happy. She has a great doctor,she is a strong awesome person,and we can only do the best we can . And that we are doing. So I head into these next few days with excitement and determination that we will all make it to the end of this road  with tears of joy running down our cheeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment