Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Painted the deck today....by hand

Yeah,what was I thinking? The deck was looking pretty shabby this year. Raw grey wood showing through in many places. Last time we had it refinished was hmmm 3 years ago? By my wonderful talented son n law. Well he is just not available right now cuz of the fact he is nesting with my daughter finishing a crap load of projects in anticipation of the event of the summer ,the arrival of my first grandson!
So anyway I'm looking at this deck and thinking , "this looks terrible " If we don't do something this year before winter we will have some serious wood rot. So since I had scrubbed the deck really good the other day (my version of power washed) and since today was beautiful (not too hot,no humidity and sunny) I figured what the hey lets stain this bad boy.
In my dreams this is what my deck would look like,
Isn't she purdy?? Man I love this deck.someday...
I don't have an actual picture of my deck but it looks something like this,
Minus the railings and add some solar lights and planters in place of them. Not bad ,but nothing like this ,
Isn't that absolutely the prettiest deck ever? I could live on a deck like that. Or at least fall asleep in a lounge chair on it. Add a nice hot tub off to the side of it and I would be in HEAVEN!!

Anyway,I thought I would paint this deck with a brush....Yeah,can you say stupid? I should have gotten a roller and pan,would have knocked it out really quickly. But I got all Karate Kid (wax on wax off) and started this rhythm with the brush and just kept going. Now mind you my deck is a pretty good size,think 11x14 or so... 3 hours later...
My back has a bright red sun burn...and that's the least of it. My hand has blisters and my spine needs traction! . But the deck looks pretty good and should make it through until next summer when I can get my son n law to do it again.
Off to lay down and I doubt I'll have trouble sleeping tonight.

4 comments:

  1. MOM!!!! We have a crap load of rollers and polls you could have used!!! Tisk Tisk!!! I love you and I mean this in the nicest way...you are to (you know what) for that crap! Hell, I'm too (you know what) for that crap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have rollers and polls too. I just got going with the brush and kept going...and did you just call me old? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I believe I did! Stop hurting my mama! ...and you say I get my stubborn streak from Dad....psh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never said I wasn't stubborn ;-).

    ReplyDelete