Friday, September 4, 2009

Nikki

This is my Cat Nikki,she is 15 years old. Looks pretty good for her age eh? She used to be kinda heavy,and in the last year or so she dropped a bunch of weight and is now really pretty thin. You can see her bones and she is light as a feather when you pick her up. I was really concerned that she was dieing when she started losing the weight. I had to change foods about 5 times before I finally found one she was interested in eating.
When we found Nikki she was maybe 7 weeks old. It was a freezing November night and my daughter and I were meeting my friend Nicole at the gym to work out. She was up on top of a tire on Nicoles car. She saw us and started meowing really loud,I mean REALLY loud. She was so tiny and cute,we opened the door and she jumped right in our car. She was so cold and so hungry. Someone just dumped her in this big parking lot! Well she became a part of our family right away.
She had starvation syndrome from not eating. When she ate she would not stop eating till it was all gone ,and if you had something in your hand to eat she would try to climb up you to get at it. The vet said she would grow out of it as she became more secure in the fact that she was going to be fed.So becouse of this she kinda fattened up and eventually we had to put her on some diet food to slim her down a bit. Thats why it really freaked me out when she started losing so much weight last year. Now I know it;s becouse shes getting old I guess. She seems healthy and aside from sleeping alot she still gets around pretty good.
Shes a real character. She talks to you and nods her head at you when you walk into a room as if to say ,HI! . She used to be realy grumpy with anyone outside the family,but she seems to be mellowing in her old age . When my daughter lived here,she was her buddy. When she moved out I think Nikki felt a bit abandoned but she has since became my husband and my buddy
I can't bear the thought of her not being around and it bothers me that she is getting old. I want her around to sleep at my feet for many more years.

2 comments:

  1. aw Nikki girl- I hope she is around for many more years too- hey she has Miss Kitty's record to break- 23 years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still remember how she tried to play with my toes in the pedicure bath. Hasn't spoken to me since!
    Did Taylor text you with a "thanks for the birthday money" yet? Really nice of you. She got mad at me when a took it to buy school clothes!

    ReplyDelete