Wednesday, January 25, 2012

But I tested negative....

I'm starting the journey of eating Gluten Free this week. Have not had gluten since Saturday Jan 21st,2012. I have not tested positive for Gluten intolerance yet I am going down this road anyway.

Why!!??? you are asking yourself. Why would anyone do this without a valid reason too?? It is so hard to follow ect ect.

Simple answer is ,I've been sick. I've been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder of the inner ear, I also have had a low white blood count for several years, suffer from bloating and gas for months now. And than with the new year came a new symptom,stomach cramping and pains. So I'm thinking to myself,this whole thing is getting worse. Whatever is wrong with me is progressing and I'm getting more symptoms all the time. I feel tired and vaguely depressed allot also.

Well within 24 hours of eating GF free I have not had any stomach pains OR gas and bloating!! That right there told me something right away. Either I am Celiac (and have had false negatives with the testing) OR I am Gluten sensitive,which can still cause you much discomfort .
So far the ear is still an issue but I can already feel that I'm a bit more energetic. So I am very excited to see how I feel in a month!
 The hard part of this will be staying at 1500 mg of sodium like my ENT wants AND gluten free . It will mean cooking allot myself as eating out was hard to do with low sodium but will be even harder GF free. But you know what? feeling sick and tired all the time and watching your health deteriorate is worse.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you. GF is not the easy way to go let along low sodium too but being sick is harder. So many people tell me " I just couldn't do it" and I think "really you can, you just wouldn't WANT to". Food is important and food is fun but in the end Food is meant to be fuel and it shouldn't run our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true Rachel. You are an inspiration to me all the time with how well you respect all your health conditions and do what you can to stay as healthy as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go you! I have been toying with making our house a 'clean eating' house and doing no white flours, no white sugar, no white rice, dye free etc, but its just so hard. You both inspire me all the time that a change to a diet is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rachel! It is hard,but so often very worth it. I'm having enough with the low sodium and now GF free I can't even imagin giving up sugar! lol. But I am eating less junk because I don't want my sodium intake takin up with junk food. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rachel! well I would love to say I did this via self-motivation but I really had no choice. I constantly struggle to eat health and work-out but in the end with my medical conditions I really have no choice. Gluten Free has not been great for my waist-line but it has been for my health and separating the two in my minds is not easy. I now strive for healthy, not skinny like I used to- and it actually feels really good! My pants might be bigger but I'm happier and that's what really matters.

    ReplyDelete